Tuesday, January 28, 2014

January Birds

Drizzle, snow, and ice erratically coated the roads and countryside today in south

central Louisiana, and the birds came out in numbers. More in one day than I've seen

on any other day for the last six years - there were American robins and cardinals

and a brown thrasher, and flocks of the fast and tiny and the big and plodding -

species I didn't recognize. A flock of perhaps 16 large birds made me think of the

vultures of Africa, the way they held their heads in flight, except that these were

pale, a shade of white. Fresh woodpecker holes dotted weathered snags.


The birds were a happy surprise on such a freezing day. On my return home, I tossed

more seed and mealieworms to our backyard avian residents to help them get through

this bitter spell.

No comments:

Post a Comment