Saturday, July 19, 2014

Stardust

I just listened to various renditions of the song Stardust. It's a wistful sounding bit of music, and I think of people of my parents' generation, born in the 1920s. I think of them in their young adulthood, the big band sound, the singers they enjoyed such as Frank Sinatra and Nat King Cole, both who sang this song beautifully. My parents were of a time of great transformation of the human experience of life; their generation is among the first to have the music and activities of their youth captured in a way that can be experienced again and again. They didn't only have memories or photos or paintings. Unlike their parents, they had movies and records and television reruns that could bring the sounds and events of past decades to life, over and over, in a very realistic way. Their descendents can see and listen to them long after they have passed.

Listening to Stardust brought my folks and their friends to life for me. I can see them in their 1950s garb, dancing cheek to cheek.

No comments:

Post a Comment