Tuesday, July 29, 2014

knitting knots

Knots are not very popular in some schools of knitting.

Better to weave in a new yarn, and tuck the ends into the woven material,
or loop the new yarn to the old without leaving any bumpy things. The beauty of tidy perfection.

It's not that I have an oppositional disposition. I didn't know about the banning of knots at the first go at this and knitted and knitted in ignorant bliss. My scarves are full of knots, with dangling loose ends throughout. They look kind of messy and comical, and I confess to taking pleasure from this. I don't even take care to properly gauge bringing in a new yarn at the beginning of a row. Those knots are all over the place.

Were I shopping for knitted scarves, I might likely purchase the neat and trim products. I don't know. But I love the thrill of moving forward without planning ahead, and tying those pesky yarns together on a whim.

Though I do consult with them first. Is this next skinny yellow yarn going to work for you? Would this other plump fuzzy one suit you better? Don't want to force a knot on a contrary couple of yarns.

No comments:

Post a Comment