Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Saving Trees

During the 1970s and 80s, there were a number of individuals who lived for a while in very large Sequoia, Fir, or Redwood trees. They spent days and nights among majestic branches. Not only were they trying to protest the logging of these ancient treasures - they were hoping to prevent it. Some tied themselves to the trees when the loggers arrived. I wonder what happened to each of those trees, the giants of the California coastline. Did the attention this brought to the disappearing forests rescue any of them? At the time, I thought this protest was both risky and wacky. But part of me deeply admired a person who could so bravely stand up for a tree. Part of me wished I could be so brave, standing up for our natural homeland, standing up for the life of a tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment