Tuesday, October 28, 2014

seaweed for supper

I've enjoyed many international foods. I like adventures in eating - although I prefer to be with someone who has some familiarity with the terms on a menu that are foreign to me, and familiar with how to order. I like foods from India, but have not memorized the names of the different dishes I've enjoyed. I'm slow with that. Even so, as much as I like Chinese, Vietnamese, or Thai foods, at the end of the day at home alone, I tend toward the American standards like mashed potatoes or peanut butter and jelly - or Tex-Mex that I've enjoyed for over thirty years. It's really easy to warm up some canned refried beans and a little cheese in a soft tortilla using a microwave.

The one exception regarding home-alone international foods is seaweed. There are seaweed snacks that consist of dried seaweed pressed thin as a slice of paper. They're fun to eat. There's 'nori' which is chilled seaweed salad, green thin threads lightly pickled.

In the past I've read that seaweed is a food with an extraordinary wide range of nutrients. A lot of creatures in the deep seas, as well as humans, dine on it. But I write about seaweed because it's something I had no experience with most of my life, yet my body welcomes it now like an old friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment