Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Goodwill


A healthy rainstorm took me by surprise during a morning walk. The blue-black clouds shed a generous quantity of much welcomed water, and my hair, dress and shoes were soaked to the skin. I stood under a public library overhang for the last forty minutes or so of heavy downpour, then made it to my car in the fading drizzle.

 
I keep a small towel in the trunk – in part anticipating events such as this (and in part saluting Douglas Adams’ advice for galactic hitchhikers). And it was my unusual good fortune to find I had a spare pair of shoes. No spare clothes, though, and an appointment of some importance to make later in the morning. I was really wet! Too far from the house to get fresh clothes and be back in time, and too early for clothing stores to be open, I lucked upon a charitable Goodwill used clothing (and household items) outlet. They were open at 8 AM. After an hour of combing through the rows of racks, and trying on this and that – I exited in capris and a blue blouse suitable for office wear (and a pair of new undies).

 
For many years my family contributed to Goodwill, and in the past few, I’ve made some good purchases there – glassware and coffee cups, a purse and a favorite blouse. I feel happy to visit Goodwills (and similar other places such as Savers) because not only am I supporting a charitable cause, I’m buying recycled items in good condition. The capris of sturdy cloth are soft and broken in. I like looking at the colorful mix of stuff!

 
Today, though, I’m just grateful. I made that appointment in a dry and reasonably attired state.

No comments:

Post a Comment