Thursday, March 6, 2014

Lent 2014

Lent began yesterday, and as usual, I'm a little late setting up a Lenten practice. Last year, I was later than this, but did manage to follow through for the rest of the season with my promise to play a harmonica every day. I'd never really played before, so it was a challenge, and interesting, and I hope I didn't hurt God's ears too much.

This year, it seems wise to go very, very small and quiet. I've made a promise to each day, adjust something I see that is awry. We're not talking stop a war or save the whales, because I don't really know how to do that, but only one very very small and doable thing. If I see the hose is out and placed in a way it might trip somebody, I will fix it right away. Or if there is a smudge on a public mirror, maybe I'll take out a hankie and polish it clean. Or a loose screw on a cabinet, I'll tighten it. I've forgotten to thank someone for a kindness? Call right away.

There have been Big fix-its over these last few years and the problem with Big fix-its is that the side effects can be rather problematic and hard to undo.

Also, I'm a terrible procrastinator. A Big project makes me nervous and I may never get to it, or never finish it. A little spontaneous fixit - just one a day - shouldn't create any problems and can gradually add up to something positive.

It seems to me this is how nature works at its gentlest. Rain here, sunshine there, pyracantha berries in the fall and through winter; dewberries and blueberries in spring and summer. Nothing all at once. Yard work for me is much more pleasant and successful if I walk through every day and adjust this or water the thirsty that, or pick up whatever seems a bit awry or in the way. No big sudden makeovers. One day, the yard is noticeably beautiful. So I'm going to do something like that in a more conscious way wherever the opportunity happens to come up. Just one a day.

Anyway. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment