Tuesday, February 18, 2014

the behavior of light

Sitting in a cafe, I was drinking chilled tea, a crumpled white card on the counter before me. Over the years, as a photography, art, and physics fan, I've learned to follow the light. Here before me was something unexpected with how the light was shining from the card. In addition to its flat surface reflecting light from the fixtures above, light was gathered in the fold of the card, as though light were liquid and it had pooled in the crease.

I've seen light cupped in flowers (as though the flowers were a magnet or trap for light) and emanating from caterpillars (like auras), as though the caterpillar were the source. Sparks of light from tree limbs. Not sure how this works, but I've assumed it has something to do with life.

A lovely puddle of brightness. Where I expected there to be shadow in the folds of a piece of paper, there was light.

No comments:

Post a Comment